Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Au Revoir

I figured I should post this before I ACTUALLY leave for school so that it is still relevant. Not that it wouldn't be relevant then, because I will still be missing my friends, but for now, while the goodbyes are happening, seems like the BETTER timing option. Also, who KNOWS how much time I'll have once I get there.

Probably lots, because I don't have too many classes, but you NEVER KNOW.

So far, amidst all of the packing, the buying of THINGS, sorting all of my stuff, the remembering to check all of my random email addresses, all of which are very important, saying goodbye is definitely the hardest part. The first time it happened, I hadn't actually REALIZED what I did until they were in the car driving away. And it's just getting worse.

I mean, they're all off at school having fun. There are only three of us left, which sucks royal hippogriff if you ask me. I keep hearing things like, "Oh, don't worry, you'll LOVE IT," which, okay, MIGHT be true, but how do they KNOW? What if I HATE it? What if I don't WANT to make new friends? What if I think the friends I have now are perfectly PERFECT in every way?

It's like accidentally finding a car and taking it in and realizing, hey, not only is this car reliable, it has never done ANYTHING wrong. It might, actually, need to be knighted for the amazing deeds it has done as An Awesome Car. But then the time comes where people are telling you that you need to try new things. Perhaps you should learn to drive a boat. Maybe you should buy a yacht, even though you are PERFECTLY HAPPY with this car. Why do you NEED a yacht? It's not necessary. But you have to. You have to learn to sail. Or drive a boat. Whatever. What happens if you can't find a yacht you're happy with, and all you want is your car?

I like the car I have now (figuratively AND literally). It's lovely and has a wonderful personality. Sure, sometimes it gets a little difficult to understand, but it always goes back to normal, nothing bad to be said. I'm sure a yacht would be fun, but I don't NEED one.

On the bright side, we're trying to pack a lot of stuff into the last days. Which includes sock puppets, Taco Bell, TBK, Birthday presents (THAT I HAVE TO FINISH, OMG), Inglorious Basterds (awesome movie!), 500 Days of Summer (I wish. Also an awesome movie), and just plain insanity.

But now I've got to say GOODBYE, and that kind of sucks, right? Right. So many happening tomorrow, and then the hardest ones actually happening THAT DAY. The day I leave. And I have to get up at 5 in the morning, to leave my house- my HOME- and go live in a small room, learning really hard stuff, meeting new people (which I'm sure you'll hear all about) and having nothing familiar around me. At all.

Now, please tell me again WHY college is a good idea? Just, just give me one reason, alright?

Sleepyyyy, surrounded by Stuff, folding clothes, and panicking, I'll write more when I've got more to say.

1 comment:

runa said...

Oh, Ashley *HUGS*
=*(

I really do want to let you know that you're going to be really really busy the first few days, and they don't give you time to dwell on stuff. But if you do, like, corny suggestion, but it worked for me, go talk to your RA or hang out in a student lounge if you guys have one of those. I kid you not, it worked for me. Talk to your RA. They will know other kids who are homesick and will introduce you and then you'll have a blast.

Another suggestion?
BRING UP HARRY POTTER OFTEN. And you WILL make friends that way. I'm serious! Just say "I'm a crazy HP fan" and you'll have a classroom of people trying to talk to you, it happened to me and my school has only 120 first years!!!!

And if you still don't like it, just, if you're one of those people for whom college isn't the right thing, you can always come home. Community college is NOT as bad as people make it out to be, it may have just saved me $40,000, a year of time, and NO MORE MATH.

Just...yeah. Good luck, and I'm sure I'll get to talk to you from the other perspective next time I do get to talk to you! hugs hugs hugs hugs!!!!!!